Saturday, August 24, 2019

Dog Mountain

Recently I've been getting into hiking as a hobby. A couple weeks ago, a few of us decided to pay Dog Mountain a visit. Unbeknownst to me was the fact that Dog Mountain is a trail in North Vancouver notorious for being crowded; fortunately the weather was overcast and wet on the day we went, so there were hardly any other visitors at all. Yay, us! I, for one, detest a crowded trail.


The three of us chatted amicably as we trekked up the mountain, stopping to take photos in a small clearing near the entrance.

Oh boy, it was sure as heck muddy due to the wet weather, but immense enjoyment filled my heart as I bounded through nature with my dog and my companions.

The best thing about Dog Mountain is all the natural steps formed by tree roots; the roots created 'stairs' that could easily be climbed by both us and the dog. There were also stone paving blocks in areas that were muddy, as well as logs conveniently placed to bridge areas together.

When we reached the top, we all felt accomplished. It was too misty to see much of the city, but we did see a very fat crow/raven and a little squirrel chilling together on some rocks.

Happy 'n' muddy @ the top of Dog Mountain

I wish I'd thought to take more photos of the trail itself and the foliage, particularly the pair of cute mushrooms I spotted growing together on the mountainside. Despite not having many photos of the scenery, I still had a delightful time and would definitely return to hike through more of the trail. The map said there was an area called Suicide Bluffs, which we didn't have time to visit on this trip. Perhaps next time, if the trail isn't too crowded, I'll return.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Behave yourself, now. ;)