Thursday, December 3, 2020

Wicked Game

Devildom AU writing dump.


Sunday afternoons were generally lazy for the exchange students, but the lack of events often provided the perfect breeding grounds for the demon brothers to play pranks. Such was the case when Nathaniel came bursting into the living room of the Enchanted Place, flustered and red in the face. 

"Help me, Mattie!" he cried. "Belphegor took my cell phone! I set it down for a moment, and he ran off with it. Can you help me talk to him?" 

"Why don't you talk to him yourself?" Mattie responded. She gently flipped through the old pages of a textbook, scanning over a few more lines before setting the book down on the table in irritation. "I'm sure he's in his room, that or in the attic."

"I would, but..." Nathaniel paused, biting on his lower lip. "You know how he sort of unnerves me. He gets along with you, though."

"I wouldn't say we get along," Mattie mused, momentarily distracted by a 'ding!' on her D.D.D. as a message came through. "Oh, look. It's a text from you, Nate. It says: 'You're boring and you should feel bad'. How rude!"

"So it's begun! He's texting nonsense to everyone I know. Oh, heaven forbid he sends something offensive to Lucifer, or Lord Diavolo. Please, Mattie. I can explain the weird messages to Kat, but not to the others!"

Nathaniel looked at her pleadingly, and she reluctantly found herself agreeing. 

As predicted, Matilda found Belphegor in the attic bedroom, sprawled out on the bed with Nathaniel's D.D.D. in hand. 

"Belpheg-- Belphie," Matilda began, flashing him as sincere a smile as she could manage. "Did you happen to take Nate's D.D.D. today?"

"He was stupid enough to leave it lying on his desk. How stupid can someone be? It was too much to resist." Belphegor chuckled, peering at Matilda through his long bangs. His tone grew suspicious. "Why, what's it to you?"

"Well, I was hoping you would, I don't know, return his D.D.D. to him?" Matilda said, smiling at him sweetly, that tiny dimple playing at the corner of her mouth.

The youngest demon brother frowned. "That sounds like no fun at all. What's in it for me if I do that?"

"I don't know," Matilda murmured, climbing onto the bed with a seductive gleam in her eyes. "That depends if you'll be a good little demon or not."

"I'm listening," Belphegor said, as their lips crashed together. 

He firmly pulled her body against his. Staring into her eyes, he lightly slid his tongue across her bottom lip. If there had been air in her lungs, she wouldn't have known what to do with it. He kissed her fiercely, making her head spin wilder than a whirlpool, knocking every last puff of breath from her body. She shuddered as his fingers traced their way under her sweater to find the clasp of her bra.

"W-wait," she gasped, pressing her hands against his chest. She peered into his violet eyes, lost deep inside them, like a ship tossed upon a merciless and stormy sea. "Just return Nate's D.D.D. - please." 

"Consider it done," Belphegor said with a smirk, "but don't get me wrong. I'm being nice to you now, but I'll make sure you return the favour in the long run."

"You're evil." Matilda bit back an angry reply, but Belphegor only laughed.

"You'll soon return what you owe me. Won't you, Matilda?"

--

Unbeknownst to Matilda, the day she would end up paying back Belphegor for his 'favour' came soon enough. The scores for RAD's final exams had been published, and the results were posted up on the classroom bulletin boards for all to see: 

TOP OF CLASS, RAD 2020 
1) LUCIFER MORNINGSTAR 
2) SATAN 
3) BELPHEGOR 
4) MATILDA LEONHART 
5) KATHRYN LACROIX 

"Congratulations on making the top five scores!" Matilda grinned at Kathryn, clearly proud of her cousin for having excelled on the year's final exams. "I'm not going to lie, I had my doubts, but you've obviously pulled through. I'm so proud of you, Kat! How did you manage it?" 

"Geez, Mattie. I can do well when I put my mind to it! I studied really hard, and aced my healing spell exam. Had a lot of practice I guess!" Kathryn rubbed at the back of her head, flashing a brilliant smile. She couldn't have been prouder of her results, and from the look Lucifer gave her in class earlier, he was beyond thrilled for her, too.

"I'm sure you know that Lucifer plans on taking the top five students to dinner at Ristorante Six to celebrate," Matilda continued. "I bet you're excited for that, aren't you?"

"Oh, shush Mattie. I don't appreciate being teased," Kathryn stuttered, although she found herself blushing. "Besides, aren't you equally excited to go to that dinner with Satan?"

"Of course!" Matilda laughed. "I can't wait to celebrate our success."

Her happiness, however, was cut short by the message that appeared on her D.D.D. - a message from none other than Belphegor - that read: 'Tell Satan you don't want him to come. Return the favour you owe me.'

Matilda's heart sank into her chest, her eyes widening as she stared at the message, re-reading it, hoping for the words to change before her eyes. But they didn't.

"Mattie? What's the matter?" Kathryn tilted her head, confused at why her cousin suddenly stiffened in place. 

"Nothing, Kathryn. I'm happy for us. Let's figure out what we want to wear to dinner, shall we?"

"Yeah! Let's do each other's hair!" Kathryn linked arms with Matilda, chattering on about how they should dress in something colour-coordinating, while Matilda stared down at the ground, wondering how she was going to break the news to Satan.

--

That evening, Matilda finished putting Kathryn's short curls into two elegant french braids on either side of her head. Kathryn hummed to herself as she applied her lipstick, a dark red that reminded Matilda of the juices of a pomegranate fruit. 

"I wonder if Lucifer prefers a smokey eye, or a cat eye?" Kathryn wondered aloud. "What do you think, Mattie?"

"Your usual cat eye is a sophisticated look, I would go with that," Matilda responded. She tied her own hair back into a lazy ponytail, causing Kathryn to frown.

"Mattie!" she exclaimed. "Are you not going to curl your hair? I can help you!"

"No, it's fine. I'm not in the mood to dress up. I'm going to make a quick phone call," Matilda said, excusing herself from the bathroom. 

Her heart still dreaded having to tell Satan that she didn't want him to show up, that she would rather be celebrating without him. She still didn't know how she was going to accomplish this feat, but she knew she had to think of something. Otherwise, there was no telling what the Avatar of Sloth would do to sabotage the night, and all Matilda wanted was for Kathryn to have a romantic, perfect night with Lucifer.

She found Satan's name in her contacts easily, as she kept him starred as one of her favourite contacts. Her thumb hovered slightly over the letters before pressing down to phone him.

Satan picked up the phone little too fast, only allowing the call to ring once before he answered. 

"Mattie! I was just about to call you. What a coincidence that we were both thinking of each other at the same time."

"Hello, dear. What are you doing?"

"I'm getting ready for the dinner. Beel isn't happy about me hogging the washroom again, but I want to look presentable for tonight's celebration." 

His cheery laugh made Matilda smile. She pictured him clutching his D.D.D. in one hand and fixing his hair in front of the mirror with the other. 

"Listen, Satan. About tonight's dinner..." Matilda trailed off. Dread settled deeper into her stomach and when she tried to speak again, the words just stuck in her throat. 

"Let me guess. You're excited? I am, too."

"No... that's not it." 

"Hmmm. You sound worried." Satan's voice turned thoughtful. "Ahh, I know. You must be concerned that I'll quarrel with Lucifer? I know the two of us don't get along, but rest assured that with you there, I'll be on my best behaviour. So there's no need for concern, all right?"

--

As things turned out, there was definitely a need for concern. 

By the time the appetizers were brought out, Kathryn and Belphegor were engaged in a fierce kicking match from under the table. Lucifer shook his head at the sight, but continued sipping on his wine calmly.

"OW!" Matilda yelped, when Kathryn landed a kick straight to her shin. "Watch it! That's gonna bruise!"

Kathryn offered up a quick apology before launching into another kick, one that shook Belphegor's chair quite violently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Behave yourself, now. ;)