Saturday, December 23, 2017

Show Me

i was nothing special
but thanks to the memories you gave me
i became the main character
in a sad love story

a story that’s only special to me
not a single star in the night sky
--love story / epik high

Maya slowly chopped onions on a cutting board, wincing when her eyes began to burn and brim with tears.

Blue sat on the couch with flaaffy sprawled out next to him. Glaceon was more aloof, deciding to curl up on the windowsill a few feet away. The TV was on, and a news announcer was droning on about the appearance of pokemon hoards in the area.

It was a normal scene. Something maybe a family would do, Maya thought to herself. They were a family of sorts, weren't they? The four of them, at one point. And Red, too.

What was wrong with her these days? The memories were suffocating, but they kept surfacing in her mind, floating up and up like drifloon.

Lost in thought, Maya's hand slipped and the knife narrowly missed cutting into her thumb. Startled, she paused and inhaled deeply.

"Are you all right?"

Blue was suddenly beside her. He took her hand and inspected it for injury. His gaze trailed up along her forearm. She closed her eyes, waiting for the inevitable.

"Those look like bite marks," he stated. "Did something happen?"

Her heart trembled. "Yes."

"Were you going to tell me?"

"I wasn't planning to."

"Why?"

She didn't answer further. He took the knife from her.

"Sit down. I'll finish this."

She didn't trust him, and that was a bothersome thought.

"Honestly, you're getting as bad as Red. What's with you broody dark-haired types?"

"Can you really blame me? After everything that's happened."

"You need to learn how to grow past these things. Otherwise you'll end up in a cave for months, like a certain someone we know."

"That actually doesn't sound bad."

"You've got to be kidding me."

"What can I say?" Maya made a face at him. "I'm a copycat."

He rolled his eyes and continued chopping.

Soon, the aromatic scent of sautéed meat and vegetables filled the small apartment. Maya stirred the pot of curry while Blue washed the rice and flicked on the rice cooker.

"So, your hand. You really aren't going to tell me what happened?"

"It was just an accident, nothing more." Maya fidgeted with the hem of her skirt. "I hate when people worry about me. You know that."

"Then don't make me worry. Tell me when something happens. I'm not only free on Sunday nights."

"I'll do what I can."

Maya felt awkward, but it was better to stay silent. She had learned this lesson the hard way, many years ago.

X

"Anyway, thanks for dinner," Blue said, leaning against the doorway. His voice was cool, not betraying his emotions.

Maya smiled wryly. They stared at one another for a moment longer. Blue hesitated, entertaining the thought of leaning in and giving her a kiss. How easy it would be! But he kept his distance.

"I'm going now. Smell ya later."

He snatched a pokeball from his belt and left. Moments later, Maya heard the cry of his pidgeot, and he was gone.

She felt her headache returning and stumbled back to the couch, collapsing onto it with her heart still beating rapidly in her chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Behave yourself, now. ;)