Thursday, December 21, 2017

Cliché

"You need to find happiness in yourself. Other people can only enhance what is already there."

If only that were always true. But if one opened their eyes further they would see that survival has always depended on factors outside of our control. Alliances, resources, odds to be swayed in one's favour.

It's simply untrue that one has to be whole to find happiness in others. In my years of dealing with depression and now, in my older years, anxiety, I find it terribly patronizing to post that someone can easily find happiness in themselves.

For some, it's simply impossible. I suppose this comes and goes for everyone, even those of the soundest emotional temperaments.

In fact... I've found my most beloved friends in moments of my worst weakness.

All that shit about "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" is simply not true.

As for me... my friends bring a light in me that has long shut off. So no... I don't believe that something inside me is being enhanced. Rather, I am being supported--lifted when there's nothing else.

But thanks, anon... good to see someone comment instead of just lurking like always. Haha.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think it's wrong though and no one said it's easy or that you need to be whole. Happiness is created inside you, it's a product of your mind. Your own perception.

    Other people can most definitely bring you happiness, but you don't have to rely on others to make you happy, or fill the feeling that something is missing in your life.

    Sure everyone is different and need more or less support than others, but you might be surprised at what you can be on your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well anon the whole point of me posting my feelings here is that I don't feel like I can do that right now. You need to check yourself :)

      Delete

Behave yourself, now. ;)