Saturday, July 20, 2024

The weather was growing warm again, indicating summer's rearrival to the Honmaru. The days became longer with the sun setting late in the evening, and the sky was the clearest blue, soft and clear, with dashes of white clouds.

Summer was Lena's favourite season. Her spirits lifted immensely after Mikazuki's return. Slowly, day by day, Mikazuki's body healed, and soon his wounds disappeared completely, leaving not even a mark on his pale skin.

"Wow, Touken Danshi are really something special," Lena remarked, as she observed his forearm, turning it from front to back. There was not even a scar to be seen. "The healing powers from the repair have made you brand new."

"Yes, which is why you needn't have worried," Mikazuki replied, "As you can see, I am now fine."

"It's my job to worry about you," Lena exclaimed. She rolled her eyes at him. "Never leave without telling me again. Remember, that's an order from your master!"

"Hahaha... certainly, I will." Mikazuki gazed fondly at Lena, who still wore a pout on her face. He noticed her twisting the end of her braid around her finger, something she did when nervous.

Lately, there was a distant look in Lena's grey eyes. Mikazuki secretly wondered what was on her mind. There was a lot to do for Aki and Hizen's wedding ahead. Perhaps Lena was only nervous about the planning, but Mikazuki did not know for sure.


---


"Lena-chan, would you put these blankets back in storage? I believe it's time to roll out the summer duvets," Aki instructed, passing a bundle of rolled up blankets into Lena's arms. "They are in the storage room."

"No problem, Aki-nee. I'll grab them! You sit and rest." Lena smiled at her Saniwa sister, knowing that Aki needed to be careful now that she was with child. "I'll be right back! And then I'll make us some tea."

Lena walked carefully, carrying the pile of blankets, and almost dropped a few on her way to the storage room. When she was finally there, she slid open the door and pushed the blankets up onto a high shelf. 

"Phew! Now, where are the summer ones...?" Lena stood up on a stool to try and find them. The shelves were dusty and packed with many boxes, clothing, and other stray items. "Oh, wait, they're here -- w-whaa!" 

Losing her balance on the unstable stool, Lena started to fall. She felt her body tip over and squeezed her eyes shut, bracing herself to hit the hard floorboards. Instead of that pain, a pair of arms suddenly grabbed her and she went crashing into someone's chest...

"Heh... Are you... falling for me?" A man's voice asked. 

Lena opened her eyes and saw the curious, and smug, face of a Touken Danshi peering down at her. She hastily stood up, putting an arm's length between them.  

"Sasanuki-san! Wherever are you learning those lines from? Speaking in such a way is largely inappropriate, don't you agree?"

"I was only joking. You know me." Sasanuki laughed in his airy, carefree way. For some reason this irritated Lena and made her body tense up.

"What are you doing here, anyway?" Lena demanded, trying not to show her annoyance.

"I was checking on my surfboard. After all, it's almost surfing season, so it needs a good wash and wax."

"If only you were as dedicated to your battles as you are to surfing," Lena sighed. "Anyway, now that you're here, can you help me grab something? There's a box of summer linens I can't reach."

With Sasanuki's help, at least Lena was able to complete her task. 

"Thank you for your help. I'm leaving now."

"Before you go..." Sasanuki stepped backwards to block the doorway. "I heard your boyfriend ran off on you earlier. Is that right?"

"...I don't know what you're talking about."

"I think you do. I wanted to ask, if someone like that truly the best to stand at your side? I mean, I can understand Master Aki and Hizen's union, but... Hizen is actually devoted to her. Can you say the same for your own situation?"

Lena released a a sharp breath. "Watch your mouth, Sasanuki," she warned, "Or..."

"Or what?" he asked, with a smile. "You'll dismantle me? For speaking the truth?"

His words had succeeded, as a feeling of doubt slowly entered Lena's heart. She pushed him aside and left, fists clenching the box as she thought back on how Mikazuki did not answer when she asked if he would ever marry someone.

Satisfied, Sasanuki returned his attention to finding his surfboard. This was going to be an interesting summer for them all...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Behave yourself, now. ;)