Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Cosmic Remedy


i feel the love,
let the past burn into the sun

There was the boy with sandy brown hair and sad eyes. I often saw him on the train in the mornings, on my way to work.

Others around him listened to music or played on their phones, but not him. He always looked deep in thought, with his brow slightly furrowed as he stared out the window. He appeared young, too young to have such a sad expression.

He looked like someone I knew; that's what I told myself whenever I saw him. Perhaps I was trying to convince myself. Perhaps I was just lonely.

Couldn't it be both?


Four years. It had been four years since the incident that tore apart friendships.

I still hadn't moved on, a fact I was reminded of whenever I saw that boy.

--

That night, after work, I received a call from Nero. He recently returned from business overseas and wanted to meet.

I had grown accustomed to his periodic phone calls and messages. Although he was a busy man, he always returned like clockwork. It was comforting, in a strange way. When he pulled up in his sleek black car that evening, I found myself relieved to see him.

"Hey." He grinned, long lashes brushing against his bangs. "Did you miss me?"

"No comment." I made a face. "How was your trip?"

"Tiring." He sighed, locking his car and coming up the driveway.

In my kitchen, he perched on a stool by the counter. I poured hot water from a kettle on the stove and made two cups of tea. I put sugar and milk into his cup and stirred thoroughly before sliding it over to him.

"Any updates on the situation?" I asked.

He nodded. "Yes."

I paused, choosing my next words carefully. "So, you've found him?"

Nero took a long, thoughtful sip from his cup before answering.

"Yes," he repeated.

--

We lived in a small town on an island. Not many were lucky enough to have the opportunity to leave. Tolls were high, and there was only one way to exit our town -- the ferry, which took passengers to the capital city on the coast.

Coming from a fortunate family, Nero had the resources to come and go as he pleased. Naturally, his family members did the same. There was a special pass that was available to privileged families that allowed them to board the ferry as many times as needed throughout the year.

One day, his father did not return from a trip to the capital. News of civil unrest on the mainland coincided with his disappearance. The situation seemed bleak, but Nero still had hope. I didn't dare challenge that belief.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Behave yourself, now. ;)