Monday, June 11, 2018

Sleep Walking

My sleeping schedule would have been back to normal, had I only gotten up when my body instructed me to. I don't feel like writing, but I need to force myself to concentrate.

These days, I want to be asleep most of the time. Not simply because of jet lag, which I was fighting hard last week, but because I don't want to be awake. I want to fall forever into the sweet depths of unconsciousness in my comfortable cloud of a bed. But, no one can do that naturally; we all have obligations, and I have no desire to be in a coma (for now?).

Besides, that's a silly and unrealistic want.

Yesterday was a sunny Sunday; I went out for a coffee with Tammy before church. The sermon related to me in the sense that I am often trapped with perceiving the past as "the good ol' days". Judging from the history on this blog, that can't be more true. But it's time to let bygones be bygones and move on to a brighter future that can hold more fortunes than any of my memories combined, as Jesus foretells.

After church, I drove Tammy home and headed to meet a young man named Artemas. Unusual spelling, I know--Laerie and I did go over this. He wanted to try "Bandidas Taqueria". I'll bet he didn't know it was a vegetarian taco place? Maybe he did. Anyway, I enjoyed the tacos there, and as things turned out, the boy is actually a solid conversationalist and able to hold topics that I enjoy conversing about. We chatted about colonialism's effects on our current society (LOL), and he even knew about Japan's horrible women's rights policies. He's a polite, soft-spoken lad whose catchphrase is "Of course!" He even holds my stuff, haha.

Coincidentally, Italian Day on The Drive happened to fall on this day, so we walked through the throngs of people and visited several booths. I spin a roulette and won a gift card for a poke shop opening in 3 weeks' time. Their kombucha sample was crisp and refreshing! I wish I won that instead, but I suppose I can use the prize I won to buy some kombucha when the time comes.


~~ And now... writing attempts!!! ~~

X snapped awake when the pen in his hand dropped onto the desk with a tap. The office was so warm, he nearly dozed off in the middle of his work. He leaned back in his plush leather chair and rubbed at his eyes.

Although his father's power over him was diminishing, X still held obligations to the company that he could not shirk. His father knew this, and more out of punishment than anything, decided to unleash an ungodly amount of work onto his son.

Typical behaviour in the X family--an eye for an eye.

Still, things could have been worse, X thought, as he sipped from a cup of coffee that had long grown cold. His father was often out of town, and ever since his mother's passing, was more distant that ever. This freed X from the nagging phone calls he normally received several times a day.

X glanced at his wristwatch, noting that it was almost noon. He decided to wrap up the proposal he was writing and see if his friend would be free to have lunch.


My dream last night:
a girl playing a song on the guitar, drawing a crowd
the king was watching, looking more and more displeased
it was raining, and his royal guard comes running up with an umbrella
thinking the king displeased with the girl, he offers to remove her
but the king rejects his idea, more displeased with the crowd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Behave yourself, now. ;)