Saturday, February 1, 2014

Mikasa & Annie


(A/N: I prefer to spell Annie's last name as "Leonhart" because that is technically the correct way to spell the name. "レオンハート" is the Japanese writing, which some people translate as "Leonhardt" with that random "d". For the Final Fantasy fans out there, this is the same last name as FF8's Squall Leonhart.)

**MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS - I'M JUST POINTLESSLY RANTING**

People have been writing their thoughts about Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack On Titan)'s female scouts Mikasa Ackerman and Annie Leonhart, so I figured I'd spill my thoughts about these two as well. A lot of fans seem to favour Mikasa as their favourite character, and praise her as the most developed character out of the Eren/Armin/Mikasa trio - which I disagree. I fight for behalf of Annie and many fans have written very thoughtful pieces regarding Annie's character.

Read: unfaithful representations: annie leonhardt in episode 23 and the anime adaptation at large, and why you really need to read the manga

I don't support Mikasa x Eren, because even though the manga explicitly hints at Mikasa's feelings towards Eren in a setting that could be interpreted as canon, I am content with the belief that Mikasa is merely over-protective of him to a fault and acts the way she does purely motivated by an older-sister type of affection. Since she was adopted into his family, he is her foster-brother, and her love towards him may just be because

A) Mikasa tragically lost her family TWO TIMES (and in the process was severely mentally scarred by these occurrences to the point where she suppresses all emotions, vows to protect her only living family Eren at all costs, and adopts the motto "the world is cruel - fight or be killed")
and
B) Eren rescued her from human trafficking at a young age and his family took her into their home. She has NO OTHER reason to live without him, since he is her only family now.

I really REALLY wish there were more worthy male characters to vie for Mikasa's attention, because she really is a diamond in the rough and so perfect; Eren doesn't deserve her. I really do see Mikasa as the protective older sister (or younger sister, whatever) that worries about her brother to an unhealthy extent because of the circumstances of their past.

But I may be biased because I dislike Eren; I don't believe he is a likable character. I have read all the manga chapters up to date, as well as watched the anime, and I've come to this conclusion: Eren is stubborn, stupid, lacking in conviction... and selfish. This can be seen in the tunnel when Mikasa and Armin agree to distract the Female Titan and Eren is just sitting there on his ass refusing to fight.

Now this spins off into a whole other depth of character analysis that people who aren't too keen at picking up the subtle hints of character development may feel lost. (Read the above link on Annie's "unfaithful representations"). In the manga, it is implied that during training Eren and Annie build a unique relationship based on mutual passion for fighting; Annie teaches Eren some of her father's signature moves that she was forced to learn as a child, and even compares Eren to her father. The development of Eren and Annie's relationship is not caught by all fans of SnK/AoT.

I found this to be an interesting read too: LET’S TAKE A LOOK AT MIKASA AND ANNIE’S RELATIONSHIP

Although after some thought, I do realize Annie's character is not popular with everyone, especialy not other women??? (laughs)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Behave yourself, now. ;)