Tuesday, August 27, 2013

cookie cutter


I've been listening to a lot of rap lately, courtesy of Jay-Z's newest album "Magna Carta". Most people would say rap is vulgar and disrespectful, which I agree to a certain extent, but rap can also be lyrical genius! Some of the verses, beats and rhymes of rap songs are really brilliant.

The only thing I don't like is how rap always seems to degrade women into objects for sex, but sexism has always been apparent in the world. Doesn't mean that's the right thing, though.

Although... I suppose since rap is all about male dominance (money, power, women), sexism would obviously be a present subject. I feel like rap songs really reveal the true human nature, the ugly part of humans who want to be on top, who look down on others who are not up to par in their standards. Songs about giving into the dark side, desires without restraints, that sort of thing.

After realizing that, I started listening to female rappers.  And found there is a lot of feuds and stuff between female rappers, too.

The day passed by relatively uneventful. BB and I went to eat at Cactus Club for lunch to celebrate the end of the semester. The spinach salad with beets and goat cheese was excellent, and we had the creole steak and prawns. I had a really good time eating that with my glass of sangria. I got a B in my courses, but I'm very certain I could have gotten an A if I hadn't been sick for two weeks... Oh well, c'est la vie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Behave yourself, now. ;)