Tuesday, December 13, 2011

lake of rage

"For the love of Arceus. Did you see something or not?”

“I dunno. I mean, there’s so much going on in this town. Forty of us live here, you know.”

Maya was losing her patience. She had heard the young bug catcher bragging outside of Mahogany Gym with his friends. The other boys had scattered at the sight of her. Maya didn’t care that she looked like a wreck. Her shoes were two sizes too big and her hair was tied into a messy knot. Her clothes were tattered and mudstained. But her appearance was of no importance. She was not one of the beauties, who constantly had their hair and nails done in Goldenrod. Maya wanted to be the best trainer in Johto. That title had once belonged to Red. Maya banished thoughts of the young champion from her mind. He was irrelevant to her at this stage in the game.

Maya had come to the small town on a mission. He never asked much of her. Maya knew that Lance still considered her a child, even though her early trainer days seemed long gone. She needed to prove herself to him. No one else affected her that way. There was something about the Dragon Master that got under her skin...but it looked like she wouldn’t be getting much information.

She hated the idea of leaving with her tail between her legs like some growlithe pup.

However, the young bug catcher before her would not answer a single question she had asked him. She had even bribed him with promises of rage candy bars, but he knew that they were out of stock. Instead of telling her yes or no when questioned about seeing the red gyarados, he just grinned, twirling his net around. All she knew was that his name was Joey and that caterpie was his favourite pokemon. Maya was moments away from setting him on fire. She had never been a fan of children. Pokemon were never this exasperating; they only irritated her when she couldn’t catch them.

“Okay, lady.” Joey exhaled. “I need to get home for dinner. I’ll tell you what I saw.”

“Hurry up, then.”

He glanced around, as if a crowd of people were eavesdropping on his every word. “There were people by the lake at midnight. Real shady characters.”

Maya studied him carefully. “As if you were out that late. You’re not even ten.”

Joey shrugged, but his cheeks darkened. “Don’t tell my mom. I was trying to catch magikarp with my bare hands, see. They won’t let you buy pokeballs if you’re underage. That’s pretty dumb if you ask me.”

“I’m not asking you.” Maya rubbed her eyes with the back of her hand. She hadn’t slept in days. Trying to track down Team Rocket was such a hassle. “Listen...Jason...just tell me who you saw.”

“My name’s Joey.” He crossed his arms. “And I swear I saw them. I saw Team Rocket! They caught the red gyarados in some weird device. I was hiding in the grass so they didn't see me.”

“Do you swear on Arceus? It’s 1000 years of bad luck if you lie.”

He nodded, his face solemn. “I swear.”

“Thank you.” Maya turned to her cyndaquil, who sat at her feet. “Let’s go, boy.”

“Wait. Didn’t you want to battle Pryce?”

“Isn’t he training under waterfalls?”

“I guess.” Joey glanced at the doors to the gym. “He’s so weird. And old.”

Maya laughed a little. “He is pretty old.”

Joey tugged at the sleeve of her jacket. Maya resisted the urge to shake him off. The look in his eyes unnerved her. Instead of the childish face she had expected, he looked as old as Pryce for a moment. Maya blinked and illusion broke.

“Team Rocket’s really bad, right? They...they cut off slowpoke tails.” Joey’s lower lip quivered. “That’s my second favourite after caterpie. You’ve got to arrest them. I mean, the guy in the cave could do it. Bring him out. He’s the champion! No offense, but you’re just a girl.”

Maya smiled, but it didn’t reach her eyes. “None taken.”

4 comments:

  1. FCK YEAH POKEMON STORIES!! I been waiting for this all week, baby!!! And boy does it feel good~~!!! It's so epic I just wanna write more more MORE!!!!!:D

    Haha @Maya not getting names right, that's just so epic. This whole story is grand. GRAND!!! And wow @the rivalry between Maya & Red, hohoho. The relationships between characters is so great. How come I can never write like you?!! I always put too much spam emotional stuff instead of something concrete and great. Haha I LOVE this!!!!!!!<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also idk if I told u but I love the socks u got me:):) sheep socks I'm wearing them right now~~ & the penguin ones too...Love. U prolly don't rmb but they even match that sheep plush haha:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yayyy I'm glad you like it! :D I really like Pokemon tales too but they're rather difficult to write. Hence Maya like. Staying in one town instead of actually going places ! XD idk what is going on in this a/u though! I'm as clueless as Joey tbh ~ but if you gave me any plot points I'd be glad to incorporate them. Or you could do the greatest thing of all and just write more~ Pokemon universe has so many details. There's endless possibilities ! I kinda feel like restarting my games but no I'll lose everything that way ~ idk. ; - ; well in my mind the 12 days of writing mean 6 work from you and 6 from me until the 31st ! Can we do it? o _ o let's be ambitious ~ anddd I'm glad u like the socks ahaha. That's good to hear. Hopefully you get lots of nice things for Christmas !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha omg I can't even write one story!!! I suck so bad but I'm gonna try.

    ReplyDelete

Behave yourself, now. ;)